- We expect to compound our mark‑to‑market book value per share over the long term by 15% annually by running Fairfax and its subsidiaries for the long term benefit of customers, employees, shareholders and the communities where we operate – at the expense of short term profits if necessary.
- Our focus is long term growth in book value per share and not quarterly earnings. We plan to grow through internal means as well as through friendly acquisitions.
- We always want to be soundly financed.
- We provide complete disclosure annually to our shareholders.
- Our companies are decentralized and run by the presidents except for performance evaluation, succession planning, acquisitions, financing and investments, which are done by or with Fairfax.
- Investing will always be conducted based on a long term value‑oriented philosophy. Cooperation among companies is encouraged to the benefit of Fairfax in total.
- Complete and open communication between Fairfax and subsidiaries is an essential requirement at Fairfax.
- Share ownership and large incentives are encouraged across the Group.
- Fairfax will always be a very small holding company and not an operating company.
- Honesty and integrity are essential in all our relationships and will never be compromised.
- We are results oriented – not political.
- We are team players – no “egos”. A confrontational style is not appropriate. We value loyalty – to Fairfax and our colleagues.
- We are hard working but not at the expense of our families.
- We always look at opportunities but emphasize downside protection and look for ways to minimize loss of capital.
- We are entrepreneurial. We encourage calculated risk taking. It is all right to fail but we should learn from our mistakes.
- We will never bet the company on any project or acquisition.
- We believe in having fun – at work!